About the Blog Name

Raconteur is another word for story-teller. In Jueteng (a Filipino number game of chance), 11 is a number for soul. So literally, The Raconteur 11 means The Storyteller's Soul.

Monday, April 2, 2012

DID SLATER DESERVE THE WIN?


It was an amalgam of excitement, awe, tense, shock and bliss watching ‘The Big Night at the Grandstand’ last Saturday, March 31, 2012 of Pinoy Big Brother Unlimited Season 4.

The show starts with a grand opening number, showcasing Filipino talents and the entrance of the ‘Big Four’ in blindfolds (actually it’s more like BLINDFACE).
Jan Slater Young, the ‘Hotshot Engineer of Cebu’was hailed the Big Winner while Pamu Pamorada, Joseph Biggel and Paco Evangelista was the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Placer respectively.

It was a glorious victory for Slater as well as for me because I am one among the many who voted for him to be the Big Winner. My sister quite criticized me about it saying I should vote for Pamu or Biggel instead. Asking her why would I, she said because they are the less fortunate who needed the bigger prizes. Then they should have joined a charitable competition, I countered. It leads to a nonsense debate leading to a P100 bet of who will be the winner. I have to admit I am expecting another ‘the-less-fortunate-will-win’ again so I feared I'll lose the bet, so it is satisfying that the opposite happened. And when Slater won she was speechless. Haha.

This is a reality show after all where one’s PERSONALITY not a person’s pitiful story is the basis of winning. But one’s character is unique for every individual, so what is required to be hailed a WINNER?

Though I didn’t know the Big 4 personally, I have watched majority of the episodes of PBB Unlimited which give me a glimpse of who they are as a person.

Growing up in a well-off family and a future heir to his family’s construction company, Slater as he put it ‘just have to stir the coffee and drink it’ but no, he chooses to start an uncertain path to prove himself. It was brave of him to make such decision especially that he’s the eldest son and his family didn’t like him to join showbiz. This is a contrast that while Pamu and Biggel join for a better and comfortable life, Slater chose to leave that kind of life to take a much difficult one. Inside the PBB house, he showed leadership abilities (although he's not the only one). He showcases sincerity and honesty which is sometimes criticized as playing safe’. He may have less motivation and hunger but he use all his abilities to win every task. These are maybe what other and I see, to choose him among the four to be the winner. So yeah, I think he undoubtedly deserve to win.

Meanwhile, here are what I can say about the BIG PLACERS.
I love Paco’s very strong personality and brain. He has that hunger to win but I feel that he was too much consumed of that hunger that he will do all it takes, even if it means he stepped on somebody on the way (although his unaware). He is equally good as Slater in being a good leader but he is short on humility that makes him only my 2nd placer.

Pamu has that bubbling personality which is liked by many, gregarious as what Tito Boy said. I am quite annoyed by her actions though (the habit of shaking almost all her body parts when explaining, please Melai is enough). It also didn’t help when I see her dallying with Kevin, knowing she has a boyfriend outside the house. Although some giggled in their love team, some criticize her when she broke up with her boyfriend because of her budding romance with Kevin inside the house. I for one didn’t like it; she should have waited when she goes back to the outside world before he broke up with him. She is my 3rd placer.
Biggel has the most interesting story but quite immature to be the Big Winner. He has that kindness and humility in him that you just can’t ignore. He had gained my sympathy when he said it’s his ‘first time’ to taste ice-cream, to see a pool, etc. only to be disappointed when photos sprouted in the internet showing the contrary. The resident psychologist explains it as a way of escaping his bitter past but there were just so much inconsistency in his stories that my appetite was completely lost. I think I am rational enough to see what’s true from lie. Yet, my votes would have been for him if only he had showed maturity, stand on his own and not just accept to be pitied and look down by other housemates. Although, yeah he tried, but I expected more. Even if they have some ‘kilig’ moments with Tin, he should not push and pushed himself to her especially that she make it clear, they just have to be friends. I am challenging him to mature and fight for his dreams so I ranked him 4th.

At the end of the day, this opinion is just mine. What I wrote are only the 155 days of their lives as housemates. The world is a bigger house. I Hope their good characteristics will remain and the not so good one will be a challenge for them to be better.

Congratulations Big 4. Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some comments.